Vot

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday June 1, 2010

I am always amazed at how quickly time flies by. Here we are in June! The kids only have two days left at school. So much has happened in the past three months. I feel like I am in a whirlwind, going from one day to the next, floating from one activity to another. The days blend together week after week. The past couple of weeks have been more stressful because of all the decisions we are struggling to make. We hit a pretty big hurdle last week, and now are trying to find a way around it.

As I mentioned previously, I was accepted to Utah State University and am so excited to return to college there. I LOVE Utah State. I attended there 12 years ago, and the classes and teachers were amazing in every way. Well, last week I found out we don't qualify for a residency exception. Thus, the tuition become outrageously expensive. I talked to two different people trying to find a way around the law, but there wasn't a loop to be found. Of course, I was super discouraged. I felt like a door was slammed in my face. I know we are supposed to go back to Utah. I know I am supposed to pursue Elementary Education and school counseling. I felt so good about Utah State. I have prayed and prayed and prayed to know the right path to take. Jason and I discussed the situation. We figured we have two options. One, we could still move to Utah and both work for a year until we were granted residency. Two, we could stay in Idaho and I could attend college here. We both know we need to leave the Nampa/Boise area. Thus, BSU and NNU are out. Jason and I don't want to go to Pocatello or Rexburg, so ISU and BYU-Idaho are out. That leaves CSI in Twin Falls. I did some research and discovered I can finish up my bachelor's degree at CSI through the ISU extension program. I was thrilled about that! I went ahead and submitted my transcripts for evaluation to see what classes ISU would accept. So now, we are considering Twin Falls. I am not sure that is the path to take. If ISU won't accept some of my classes, I want to shoot for USU, but will have to wait a year. Where I attended USU previously, I could begin right where I left off. I don't want to move backwards in my progression. I don't want to wait a year either. The other consideration: I want to pursue a master's degree in school counseling. Thus, when I finish up my bachelor's degree, I want to make sure all the pre-requisite classes for admission into that program are completed. I worry if I get my bachelor's degree in Idaho, I won't have a smooth transition into the school couseling program at USU, which is where I want to finish up that degree. There are so many things to consider: living costs, available jobs, available housing, etc. I want my kids to be happy. I want Jason to be happy. I want to know we are where Heavenly Father wants and needs us to be. I have fasted and prayed and been to the temple and I still don't feel we know what to do. It makes my head spin to think about it sometimes. But I know the answer will come. I will not lose faith. I just hate the unknown. With Jason not working, the unknown becomes even more stressful.

Ok, so I have so much more to write. But it is time to put the troops to bed. I will update more later. I will say we had a lovely weekend in Burley. It was perfect in every way! I will elaborate more on that later.

3 comments:

  1. Look into WGU - Western Governor's University. They offer a teaching program and it's all online and you can live anywhere you want. I don't know about the counseling portion, but it's another option if you guys are set on getting into Utah and beginning school asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie it sure is funny that the above person commented on Western Governors University. I will be attending myself as soon as I get accepted into their program for Human Resource Management. Good luck and it will happen the way it is too happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, by brother got his degree all online. I'm not sure which University it was through though, but he took classes for a couple of years and finished that way. As much as I would love to have you in Twin Falls, going this route for schooling might get you where you want to live a bit faster. I'm sure everything will fall into place the way that it is supposed too. I think of you often and am glad to see that you are enjoying life and I am sure your boys are loving all the attention they get from mom now! Take care and have a super day!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete