Vot

Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday November 9, 2009

Greetings friends and family! (0: Today was another good day. Ashley was very tired this morning. She and I had another Criminal Minds marathon while she rested. YEE HAW! (0: She laid around most of the morning. I figured she would be extra tired after the weekend. But it was a very wonderful weekend, and I wouldn't have changed anything we did. She was very happy.

The nurse said Ashley was looking well. (Our hospice nurse comes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). She was pleased with her breathing and her overall appearance. Ashley is having trouble with pain in her right leg. The pain has been pretty severe at times. The nurse said it is most likely because she still is losing protein. Without the IV nutrition, her protein levels will fall and her muscles will start complaining. Her appetite is still not good, so eating won't help boost her protein. We can try protein supplements, which is what the nurse recommended. We can also control her pain with Hydrocodone.

The other problem she struggled with today was feeling light-headed. For those of you who know how low her oxygen levels get, she saturates in the low 70's now. Her oxygen should be worn at all times to keep her levels in the high 70's so she feels better. However, she absolutely hates her oxygen. She fights me on that everyday. Today she didn't wear it very much, and I know, given her dusky appearance, she was not saturating well. At this point, I don't fight her on wearing her oxygen. She will put it on when she starts feeling really sick. The nurse said it isn't worth the fight. But I think it is, at times. I want her to feel as good as she can.

The bishop called tonight to check in on Ashley and to find out how our visit went with Elder Rasburn and Elder Rowe yesterday. He said they were surprised Ashley wasn't bedridden. I really hope I haven't given anyone the impression that she is bedridden. She will stay in bed quite a bit of the time, but she also has times when she is up and around and talking to everyone. I am so thankful she can still get around. If she was too sick to get out of bed, she would be so depressed! She enjoys the times she can go out for car rides and sit in the living room with the family. It is a blessing she can do that.

The bishop also asked me about Ashley's personal progress. We haven't yet started working on any of her Young Women's goals, but I do feel it would be a good idea to do so. We don't yet have a personal progress book, so I need to ask the Young Women's leaders if we can get one. It would give Ashley something fun and inspiring to do. Why not fill her time with useful, uplifting things? She gets so down. I know that would bless her life.

Thanks again to all of you for your faith and prayers. They are working!! She is still with us, and I couldn't be more grateful she is, and that she is not any sicker than she was before that PICC was removed! Wishing all a wonderful night and a beautiful day tomorrow! (0:

No comments:

Post a Comment