Vot

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday January 9, 2010

Sorry for the lack of blog last night. Ashley was upset and needed her mommy. I didn't want to take the time to blog. When she calls, I answer. (0:

So new developments: we now have a bedside commode! YEA! It has been a huge blessing to Ashley. It fit right next to our bed, hidden by our dresser, so it feels a little more private. Now all Ashley has to do is step off the bed and turn around and she is on her commode. Nancy was our hero. She had it here on Friday morning. I can't tell you how much easier it is for Ashley. She was just thrilled not have to make the walk to the bathroom. I was thrilled too. Walking is just too hard for her.

We are also working on getting the supplies necessary for sponge baths in bed. The bathtub is also too difficult now. Nancy said there are special washcloths and shampoo we can get from Norco. She is bringing them on Monday. I can't wait for that. One more way we can conserve her dwindling energy.

Yesterday was a fairly good day. Ashley remained the same throughout the day. We completely stopped her morning dose of sotalol, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Fortunately, nothing new occurred. Her swelling remained the same. Her heart did not have any strange rhythms that I noticed. At bedtime however, she was feeling pretty yucky. She wanted me to sit with her, watch a movie, and stroke her arm. We ended up watching Swing Vote. After the movie ended, she was still feeling anxious, so we read from the New Era for another hour. I always love reading with Ashley. Not only did we read several inspiring stories, but it was a great distraction. She was able to relax after reading and fell asleep. It was late, but she slept all night. No pain. No trips to potty in the night. It was peaceful for both of us.

Today has been another good day for Ashley. She woke up looking pretty darn good. No facial swelling like I expected. Her breathing was fine. She had pain in her arm, the one with the clot, but only wanted advil for pain. I didn't give her morphine or ativan until this afternoon. She even joked with her dad a little. I haven't seen her do that in a very long time. It was nice to see her spunky, sassy side. She laughed at a program on TV. Jason and I sat outside the door and listened to her laugh. It was a wonderful moment for both of us.

Her good was short lived. As the evening wore on, Ashley began to decline. She started feeling sick to her stomach. She tried to throw up, but only heaved around. She didn't eat as much today, so I am sure the empty stomach wasn't helping with the meds on board. After she got sick, I made her some peppermint tea, which helped. She eventually was able to eat a little chicken for dinner. I made her goolash, but that didn't settle well. She ate three bites and was finished. But hey, I will take three bites!!

This evening, she was way tired. Her heart was pounding around in her chest. Her breathing was more difficult. She wanted her morphine and ativan and advil. The dang arm was hurting quite a bit. Fortunately, her back pain over the past couple of days is better. I think the advil is controlling that.

After family prayer, she came into the bedroom, upset. She was worried about tomorrow, and having me gone for church. I am thinking I may only go to church for sacrament meeting, but I am not sure. If Ashley continues to have a bad night, I won't leave her side at all. But if the night goes well, and she wakes up feeling alright, I may go to sacrament meeting only. Poor Spencer, my little straight arrow, was distraught at the thought of coming home after sacrament. He LOVES primary. I told him he could still stay, even if I came home. Preston didn't like that thought, but if I snuck away, they would be fine. I would be there when they finished primary. Anyway, we will figure it out in the morning.

Ashley and I read for a little bit and now we are going to put on a movie. I hope she can have a decent night. We only have one day left on sotalol and then it will be gone forever. This week is just one big unknown. No one can predict what Ashley's body will do. The unknown is very hard for me. That is where trust and faith come in. But at least we have been given two days now where our angel has been more at peace than she has in a while. What a great blessing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment