Vot

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wednesday February 10, 2010

I wish I could say today was a good day. I wish I could say there was something to smile about. Unfortunately, these days, there isn't much to be happy about. Ashley had another long, hard day. She was worse today, than she was yesterday. This morning, she tried to come out into the living room for a little bit. I think she lasted for 15 minutes before she was too tired and had to retire to the bedroom. Other than the trips up to the bathroom, she did not budge off the bed. She didn't sit up. She didn't eat. She didn't smile. She didn't talk. I spent most of the afternoon, sitting quietly on the bed beside her, watching her sleep, watching her breathe.

I kept Preston home from school again. He woke up coughing really bad. I think he might have been okay, but I wanted to give him one more day to rest. He has been so good about staying away from Ashley. We have one room, which we term our "family room", which is located upstairs above our garage. Up there is a TV and a couple of computers. We keep our gaming systems up there as well. It serves as the perfect place for a sick one to go. During the day, that is where Preston has been. We made him a special bed on the couch, which made him feel pretty darn special. I have been so proud of him. When he did come downstairs, he carried a washcloth with him, so when he coughed, he could cover his mouth. He is constantly washing or sanitizing his hands. Bless his heart, he has been super careful. I pray hard that we can keep the germs from Ashley. So far, so good.

We did receive a very special surprise this afternoon that brightened this gloomy day right up!! Just after 4:30, I heard a knock on the front door, and what did I find, but another HUGE care package from my dear friend, Sarah Badger. This is the third big box she has sent to our family. Every time, there are so many wonderful things inside. Today was no exception. They lent us some more of their wonderful movies. Ashley was thrilled about that!! (0: It is nice to have other options. She does watch a lot of movies, as it doesn't require much energy. Also in the box were some yummy valentine treats. These days, my kids freak out over candy and cookies. I stopped eating sugar, as it contributes to my anxiety, so these days, we don't have sweets around the house. Believe me, they were all thrilled to have some cookies. There was also a huge valentine card, signed by several of our dear friends in the Rupert area. Some of the best people in this world come from Rupert Idaho!!! I want them all to know just how much we miss them and love them. I cried and cried and cried. I was so touched that Sarah was able to get so many of our dearest friends to sign that card for Ashley. When she read the card, she smiled!! A real, from the heart smile!! Thank you Sarah for your thoughtfulness. I needed that today. It was such a hard day, and because of you, we all had a moment of sunshine!! Thanks to all the special people who signed the card for Ashley. You made her smile too!! Thank you all!!


2 comments:

  1. Connie - I'm so glad Ashley liked the card and it made her happy for a brief time. The card was truly Kiara's idea not mine - she wanted to do it at christmas time, but I didn't think we had enough time to get it done and signed by the other people we wanted to have sign it, so we didn't do it then. I need to have more faith, because here it is almost Valentines Day and our sweet little Ashley is still here, so when Kiara asked me again if we could do a card with signatures from friends, I decided I better tell her yes this time. She had some trials in getting it signed as she took it to Young Women's with her first, and the girls there were more than willing to sign it, but they just didn't understand - a bunch of them signed "get well soon" all over it and someone wrote that in HUGE letters on the front with a little joke about getting well. Kiara was soooo sad. She said, "mom, I can't send this card like this - it will make Ashley even sadder about life." So we thought and I told her maybe she could cut out the messages from the girls and leave out the get well parts. They all meant well, but even with Kiara explaining the situation, people just don't understand and it is so very frustrating. I'm glad we were able to make Ashley's day. Kiara will be very happy - she tries very hard to think of things that will help Ashley get through this difficult time. My little Kiara sure has a sweet heart. I'm so glad she has Ashley for a friend so I can see this - it touches my heart so to see the kindness and love Kiara has for others. I hope the goodies got there without getting too smashed - you never know with UPS. (also if the nightie didn't fit Ashley, feel free to take it back and get whatever she wants or needs at this time to brighten her day!) We love you. Take care and be strong!
    Love
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, you might want to read this, if you haven't heard about it yet. It's on KSL, and this little family is from Layton. They just lost 2 of their little girls. It just might help a bit... maybe. I dunno. It's just that their strength & testimony reminded me so much of you & Jason.
    www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9658626&pid=1
    Much Love,
    Jenn Dayley

    ReplyDelete